Windows 11 was officially released by Microsoft on October 5, 2021. Since then, it is available as a free upgrade for all users running legitimate Windows 10. However, Windows 11 does require some challenging minimum system requirements that many Windows 10 users are unable to fulfill. But there is a still workaround that let's incompatible PCs run Windows 11 officially. So, this article will discuss in detail how to upgrade to Windows 11 for free whether your PC fulfills the minimum system requirements of Windows 11 or not. So, let's get started!
Check PC's Compatibility with Windows 11
The very first step is to check your PC's compatibility with Windows 11. Follow the below steps to do it:
- Go to Microsoft Windows 11 webpage by clicking here.
- Under the "Check for compatibility" section, you can manually check system requirements by clicking "see minimum system requirements" and then compare the system requirements with your current system's capabilities. Alternatively, you can do the check automatically by downloading the "PC Health Check" app.
- Once the app is downloaded, launch it and then click "Check now". It will show a pop-up window that displays a message about whether your PC meets Windows 11 requirements.
In case your PC does not meet Windows 11 requirements, you have two options, as follows:
- You can keep using Windows 10 till October 14, 2025, as it is the last day till Microsoft will continue support for Windows 10.
- You can download the Windows 11 ISO directly from Microsoft website and install Windows 11 through it. ISO-based installation bypasses the Windows 11 requirements check and allows installation of Windows 11 on incompatible PCs. However, Microsoft does warn that doing it might not make you eligible for future security and driver updates. Will Microsoft going to do it or it's just a threat? All will be clear in the near future.
To sum up, whether your PC is compatible with Windows 11 or not, you can officially download and install it.
When you upgrade to Windows 11, it keeps your data, applications, and settings as it is with no data loss at all. However, it is recommended to make a backup of the data if your PC contains important files that you never want to lose. You can make a backup of your data on an external hard drive or you can backup data in the cloud storage of Microsoft OneDrive. This way, even if you unexpectedly bear some data loss, you can recover the data right away from the backup.
Upgrade to Windows 11 from a Compatible PC
Follow the below steps to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 if your PC meets Windows 11 requirements:
- Click the "Start" menu and then click "Settings".
- Click "Update & Security".
- Click "Download and install" from the top where it says "Upgrade to Windows 11". It will take a few hours to complete the upgrade process.
This way, you can easily and instantly upgrade to Windows 11. However, if you don't see the option to download and install Windows 11, then you can do the upgrade by installing Windows 11 from the Microsoft website.
Upgrade to Windows 11 from Microsoft Website
If your PC is compatible with Windows 11 but you don't see the option to download and install Windows 11, or if your PC is incompatible with Windows 11, then you can install Windows 11 from the Microsoft website. Follow the below steps to do it:
- Go to Microsoft Windows 11 download webpage by clicking here.
- From the webpage, you get three options to install or upgrade to Windows 11, as follows:
- Windows 11 Installation Assistant: This option uses an assistant, which makes installing Windows 11 a lot easier.
- Create Windows 11 Installation Media: This option lets you create Windows 11 installation media. For example, if you have a USB, you can set it up as a bootable USB to install Windows 11 on your PC.
- Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO): This option downloads the Windows 11 ISO file into your PC. Once the download is completed, you just have to open the ISO file and launch the setup to install Windows 11.
This way, you can choose any of the above three options to install or upgrade to Windows 11 whether your PC is compatible or incompatible with Windows 11.
Although Windows 11 minimum system requirements almost require a new modern PC, still Microsoft is offering it as a free upgrade to Windows 10 users even if their PC is compatible or incompatible with Windows 11 requirements. So, if you are eager to install Windows 11, then follow the above steps and experience Windows 11 today.
We're one of the highest-rated, most-loved technology services company in Toronto providing world-class IT support to SMBs and Enterprises. Sun IT Solutions is a Toronto City-based, multiple award-winning IT support company providing Managed IT Services, Managed Security Services, Cloud Services, Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR), Cyber Security Training and Dark Web Monitoring, IT Support Services, IT Consulting, IT Outsourcing Services and Remote IT Support
Our business model is built around keeping your tech support costs flat and predictable - which means that we work hard 24/7 IT Support Services to ensure that your IT infrastructure and tech stack is always operating smoothly and efficiently.